The abbey church in Lessay, Normandy

The church on the left hand side of the photograph is part of the Benedictine abbey founded in 1056. It was almost entirely destroyed twice – once in 1356 and again in 1944. Although the bombings that Normandy endured in 1944 caused some of the damage, explosives planted by German troops caused the majority of […]